Tuesday, June 19, 2012

N485 Final Photos

I should preface this by saying that none of these pictures were taken in RAW format.  I instead went the cheap route and took only JPEGS with my sweet little Nikon Cool Pix camera.  Considering I had never pursued photography before and probably won't after this class, I didn't want to spend the cash on a new camera.  Anyway, here are my photos...

NATURE



ISO: 80
f/3.2
Shutter Speed: 1/15 sec
Focal Length: 4.6 mm

Composition:  I liked the competing diagonal lines in this image.  The path leads the viewer's eye deeper into the trees, while the light shines diagonally through the trees and across the path.  I enjoy perspective like this because it gives the viewer a way to look into and through the photo.

Motive:  The concept behind this photo is that the path is taking us out of the dark woods and leading us towards and unknown destination, but the light shining through the trees implies better days ahead.


PORTRAIT



ISO: 400
f/3.2
Shutter Speed: 1/6 sec
Focal Length: 4.6 mm

Composition:  I wanted to create the Golden Mene with this photo, which seemed like an interesting way to take on a portrait.  I also like the perspective lines taking you into the picture and towards the subject.

Motive:  Since I have three dogs, I figured I might as well use them as subject matter.  And since this dog (Tillie) sleeps all day and doesn't move, I wanted to experiment with the higher ISO and longer shutter speeds.


URBAN



ISO: 100
f/4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/640 sec
Focal Length: 8.8 mm

Composition:  I wanted to use asymmetry with this image because it reflected my theme (see below). I also wanted to take advantage of the complementary color scheme this image provided me.

Motive:  I tried to create a theme revolving around the clash between nature and city life.  The building and the vines almost seem to be competing for space along this wall.


STILL LIFE



ISO: 200
f/3.6
Shutter Speed: 1/30 sec
Focal Length: 5.8 mm

Composition:  I wanted to try at least one black and white photo, so I chose this silly composition I created with a teddy bear and a shark's jaws.  I think the Golden Mene comes into play again in this photo.

Motive:  Competing themes.  Cuddly teddy bear sitting in the deadly jaws of a shark.  Super deep, thematic shit right here.


GRAFFITI



ISO: 100
f/11
Shutter Speed: 1/400 sec
Focal Length: 7.7 mm

Composition:  Honestly, I hate this composition.  It just feels off, but I wanted to use this picture because...

Motive: ...I wanted to play with the colors in Lightroom.  I like how much more dynamic an image can become after some tweaking in Lightroom, even if the composition is garbage.  This image had some great color to play with.


LANDMARK



ISO: 100
f/8.5
Shutter Speed: 1/320 sec
Focal Length: 5.1 mm

Composition:  I think the rule of thirds somewhat applies to this image.  Certainly not the best photo I've taken, but at least the ship etching is neat to look at.

Motive:  I felt that the subject matter was interesting.  I was able to get some nice color contrast between the symbol, flags, and the trees.  And yes, I see that little cloud at the top.  Fuck that cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment